Retirement and Taxes: Keep the Sun Shining on Your Retirement

- February 7, 2017

The time has come to retire and you’ve decided to keep your residence in Canada to stay close to your family. However, there’s nothing stopping you from finding your own little corner under the sun for a few months. Even though you stay abroad for a while, you’re still considered a resident of Canada and Quebec and have to pay taxes. (Remember to check the host country’s requirements before setting up house temporarily (in particular the 183-day rule in the United States (that I explained in my last column)). I’d like to share a few tips here to help you reduce your tax bill.

Pension income splitting

Read the online article (in French) by Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton Tax Partner, Sylvain Moreau published in the Journal de Montréal and the Journal de Québec, on February 3, 2017. Sylvain Moreau is a columnist in the Argent – Dans vos poches sections of both these Québecor publications.

Comment on this article