Person of the Year Awards
Rules – Person of the Year Awards
- The Person of the Year Awards are presented by Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton L.L.P. (“RCGT”) in partnership with the Concordia University’s John Molson School of Business (“JMSB”) (collectively “the Organizers”). The contest will run from midnight September 26, 2018 to 11:59 p.m. EST on December 20, 2018. No nominations will be accepted after 00:00 AM on December 21, 2018.
- All candidates must meet all of the eligibility criteria in order to be nominated.
- This contest is open to entrepreneurs, owners and “C-suite executives, anywhere in Quebec, of a public or private corporation that has been operating in Quebec since at least January 1, 2015.
- The “Instinct” award (described below) is also open to a team which is part of an investment management company or a financial institution providing capital, including but not limited to: private equity group, venture capital fund, family office, pension fund, or labour-sponsored fund. For greater clarity, the “Instinct” award will be awarded to a team of people, which will be considered a single winner.
- Candidates must be the primary individuals responsible for the recent growth of their organization.
- The candidate’s organization must be undergo growth, can be from any business sector and must be registered and have been operating in Quebec since at least January 1, 2015. Businesses headquartered outside Quebec are eligible provided they meet all other requirements contained herein.
- RCGT and the JMSB, their employees, representatives, agents, directors, governors and jury members and persons with whom they are domiciled are not eligible to participate in this contest.
- The Person of the Year Awards will be given to four (4) entrepreneurs, owners or C-Suite executives, with the exception of the Instinct award which may be given to the people mentioned in paragraph 4 of these rules, at the Gala Awards Night to be held May 9, 2019 in Montreal, i.e. one winner per category as detailed in paragraph 19.
- The four (4) winners will receive a Person of the Year trophy at the Gala Awards Night on May 9, 2019 in Montreal. Details regarding the time and location of the awards will be communicated to the finalists when they are selected.
- The four (4) winners will get five hours of executive coaching by the John Molson Executive Center.
- The winner of the Person of the Year category award will get opportunity to serve as “Class champion” at the 2019-21 Executive MBA Cohort at the John Molson School of Business.
- The sixteen (16) finalists will receive a Person of the Year plaque at the Gala Awards Night on May 9, 2019, in Montreal.
- A profile of the finalists and their achievements will be promoted at rcgt.com/awards, as well as through a promotional campaign with our media partners.
- RCGT will grant a licence to use the Person of the Year Awards logos to winners and a licence to use the “finalist logos” to the finalists of the Person of the Year Awards. Winners and finalists will be able to use the logos in accordance with the rules and conditions provided to them. This license may be revoked at any time by RCGT and any other use will require prior written approval by RCGT.
- At the conclusion of the contest, the four (4) winners will be invited to accompany John Molson School of Business scholarship students/fellows, between May and September 2019, in an innovative project, in collaboration with Catallaxy, a blockchain technology centre of expertise and Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton.
How to participate
- Nomination forms are available at [rcgt.com/awards] and will need to be submitted directly online.
- Candidates must submit a completed nomination form by 11:59 pm EST on December 20, 2018.
- Incomplete or late nominations will automatically be disqualified.
- The nomination must not exceed the number of characters specified for each question.
- A candidate may submit a nomination in up to two (2) categories and must meet the following criteria:
a) For the “Eclipse” category: must be an entrepreneur, owner or a C-Suite executive heading a growing and innovative company that has eclipsed the competition and is transforming its industry through the provision of services or products or through the improvement of processes or the creation of new business models;
b) For the “Glocal” category: must be an entrepreneur, owner or a C-Suite executive who, through his/her work and global outreach and success, has created local jobs and contributed to the advancement of a Quebec-based company at the international level;
c) For the “Instinct” category: must be a team part of an investment management company or a financial institution providing capital, including but not limited to: private equity group, venture capital fund, family office, pension fund, or labour-sponsored fund, that has completed a transaction (strategic expansion, partnership, merger and acquisition, etc.) in 2018 enabling a Quebec company to carry out a transformational project that ensures its development and growth;
d) In the “Person of the Year” category: must be an entrepreneur, owner or a C-Suite executive who, through his/her vision and leadership, has carried his/her organization to a new level. Is part of a culture of innovation and contributes to the advancement of his/her sector of expertise. Distinguishes himself/herself through a commitment to social and community life, as well as an involvement in mentoring activities.
- Between October 2018 and January 2019, a representative from RCGT will email or call the candidates who meet the eligibility criteria to complete their nomination by completing a second form with the candidates.
Finalist selection process
- The sixteen (16) finalists will be notified by phone or email by February 28, 2019 and will be required to and shall keep the information provided confidential until the finalists are officially unveiled by RCGT and the JMSB.
- The sixteen (16) finalists will be announced no later than February 28, 2019 by press release and on the website rcgt.com/awards.
- The sixteen (16) finalists will be selected by RCGT professionals and by students from the JMSB Executive MBA and MBA programs.
- A selection committee will oversee the selection process. It will be made up of members from academia and the business world. Governance will be provided by Anne-Marie Croteau, Ph. D., Dean of the John Molson School of Business.
- Finalists will be selected based on a scoring grid for each selection criteria, including:
a) Scope of their accomplishments (risks taken, dedication, perseverance, etc.);
d) Involvement in mentoring activities;
e) Community involvement; and
f) Financial performance.
- Candidates do not have to meet all the selection criteria to submit their nomination. Candidates who perform well in several selection criteria may get a better score from the selection committee.
- Finalists may be subject to RCGT’s due diligence process and must be available in February 2019.
Winner selection process
- The selection of the four (4) winners will be made by a selection committee composed of three (3) members of the JMSB and three (3) figures from the business community. Governance will be provided by Anne-Marie Croteau, Ph. D., Dean of the JMSB.
- The selection committee will select the four (4) winners by analyzing and scoring each finalist based on a scoring grid for each selection criteria.
- The selection committee’s selection of the four (4) winners will be final and completed by April 30, 2019.
- The winners will be unveiled at the Gala Awards Night on May 9, 2019, in Montreal.
General terms and conditions
- Verification. Nomination forms are subject to verification by the contest Organizers. Any nomination form that is incomplete, illegible, mutilated, fraudulent, late, contains an invalid or otherwise non-compliant telephone number, may be rejected and will not be eligible for nomination or an award, as the case may be.
- Disqualification. Contest organizers reserve the right to disqualify a candidate or to cancel a candidate’s nomination if he/she participates or attempts to participate in this contest using means that are in violation of these rules or that are unfair to the other candidates (e.g. nomination submitted after the deadline).
- Personal information. By participating in the Contest, candidates consent to the collection, use and disclosure of their personal information by RCGT, the JMSB and their representatives for the purpose of administering the Contest and giving the award, if applicable. RCGT and the JMSB agree to handle personal information of the candidates in accordance with applicable legislation and regulations. The personal information requested on the nomination form (including the last name, first name, contact information and occupation) will be collected, used and processed by RCGT, the JMSB and their representatives, if applicable, including the students participating in the evaluation of nominations and the selection committee, exclusively for the purposes of the Person of the Year Awards and will not be used for any other purpose without the express consent of the candidates. RCGT and JMSB representatives and subcontractors who are given access to the personal information collected for the Person of the Year Awards must comply with these terms and conditions. We are taking reasonable steps to ensure that only employees who require access to personal information in the course of their duties have access to it. The contact information of candidates will be used to communicate with them as part of the various steps of the contest, and the last names, first names and occupations will be used to review and administer participation in the contest as well as for promotional or advertising purposes (without notice or compensation) if a candidate is a finalist and/or winner of the contest. Candidates may, upon request, consult and update their personal information under the care and control of RCGT and/or the JMSB and may correct any errors in that information, in accordance with applicable laws and subject to prior verification of the identity of the requester. For questions regarding personal information or to request access or correction, candidates can contact us at [email protected]
- Financial information. Any financial information submitted by a candidate will be treated as confidential and will be viewed only by RCGT, the JMSB and their representatives, the selection committee and the students of the JMSB involved in the selection of the sixteen (16) finalists and four (4) winners of the Person of the Year Awards.
- Acceptance of the award. The price must be accepted as is and is not redeemable for cash nor exchangeable. RCGT and the JMSB reserve the right to withdraw or replace the award without notice. The award may be subject to other terms and conditions of use.
- Interviews and events. The winners and finalists of the Person of the Year Awards may be invited to participate in interviews or events with the media and, upon reasonable notice, they agree to send a representative to these events.
- Limitation of liability: use of the award. By participating in this contest, the candidate who wins an award waives all liability against RCGT, the JMSB, any corporation, company, trust or other legal entity controlled by or bound to them, their advertising and promotional agencies, their associates, employees, agents, representatives, directors, governors and mandataries (the “beneficiaries”) for any damages they might incur by accepting or making use of the award.
- Limit of liability: participation in the contest. By participating in or attempting to participate in this contest, any person shall indemnify and hold harmless the beneficiaries from any and all damages that may result from their participation or attempted participation in the contest.
- Limit of liability: how the contest works. The beneficiaries are not liable for any malfunctioning component in a computer, software, network or line of communication, for any loss or absence of network communication or for any transmission that is defective, incomplete, incomprehensible or erased by any computer or network or that might limit or prevent any person’s ability to participate in the contest. The beneficiaries are also not liable for any damage or loss that may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, by downloading any Internet page, software or other software and by transmitting any information relating to participation in the contest.
- Authorization. By participating in this contest, the candidate selected as a finalist authorizes the contest organizers and their representatives to use, if required, their name, photo, image, voice, signature or statement regarding the award for promotional purposes, together or separately, in whole or in part, namely through the reproduction, representation, adaptation, dissemination, publication, broadcast or in any other way as determined by RCGT, the JMSB or their representatives, on any media, without any form of compensation.
- Ownership. The nomination form is the property of the contest Organizers and will in no way be returned to the candidate selected for an award.
- For more information about this contest, visit rcgt.com/awards or contact Gabrielle Drolet at 514 878-2692 #5761 or [email protected]