About Blinds To Go/Le Marché du Store
Blinds To Go/Le Marché du Store Inc. is the foremost manufacturer/retailer of blinds and shades in North America. A leading manufacturer and retailer of window blinds and shades for 60 years, Blinds To Go/Le Marché du Store is constantly redefining the window treatment industry, with the largest made-to-order selection of blinds assembled directly at their Montréal, Quebec and Lakewood, New Jersey manufacturing facilities. The company recently opened a new manufacturing plant in Hanover, Maryland.
Currently, the company operates over 80 stores located in Quebec, Ontario and the U.S. Over the next few years, the company intends to continue its growth through new store openings as well as geographical expansion of its shop at home services. Its growth and geographic expansion generate considerable excitement and opportunities for high potential individuals. The company is looking for a motivated candidate prepared to invest in the company for the long term.
Human resources are very important to the company and considered as its most valuable asset. It is committed to providing its employees with an enjoyable and motivating work environment where everyone can thrive and grow and where customer focus, collaboration and discipline are fostered, encouraged and recognized.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Corporate Controller is directly involved in all accounting and financing activities. The incumbent also ensures that financial policies and practices are compliant and managed in a strong internal-control-based environment. Additionally, the Corporate Controller advises management on the attainment of business objectives, assesses performance, identifies potential issues and risks and determines the best practices to be implemented in terms of control measures and operational efficiency.
The Corporate Controller’s role includes the following responsibilities:
- Accounting/financial statements: Ensure the integrity, reliability and timeliness of financial information presented;
- Inventory: Collaborate with Controllers in the Canadian and U.S. plants to ensure the integrity of inventory data maintained at all facilities and manufacturing centres and ensure proper cost controls are in place;
- Purchasing and contracts: Collaborate with different departments to establish proper purchasing protocols and controls for all assets, services and inventory.
- Collaborate with the Financial Planning and Performance Manager to monitor and assess performance objectives and provide solutions for any variances identified.
- Business process/improve efficiency and effectiveness: Working with other departments, develop and implement processes to improve effectiveness and efficiency; (automate processes to provide a solid infrastructure to facilitate and accommodate the company’s growth stage).
- Internal control: Ensure the compliance of all accounting activities and integrity of financial information and data;
- Capital assets: Ensure that the accounting information and actual value of capital assets are aligned;
- Operating costs: Put in place an efficient tracking system to facilitate, the comparison of actual and budgeted operating costs, on a timely basis, and identify gaps;
- Team management: Provide the required coaching, training and support for employee development.
The Corporate Controller manages and supervises a staff of ten people, including three direct supervisors. This includes responsibility for accounts payable, payroll and verifying that store cash audits are reconciled on a daily basis within the required timeline. Additional responsibilities include audits and U.S. and Canadian bank relationships.
The incumbent is responsible for all internal controls, financial monitoring and the reliability of accounting and financial information. The individual is able to develop strong working relationships within the team and work closely with other department managers (retail, manufacturing, etc.) by providing them with relevant financial reports and indicators so that they can take the necessary actions and ensure sound financial management.
Given the importance of the company’s entrepreneurial culture, the candidate must be an experienced manager with an exemplary track record, a thorough understanding of business operations and strong technical expertise in accounting and financial management.
- Control and analyze financial results using various reports, ratios, etc.;
- Manage operational controls and introduce robust internal controls;
- Implement and analyze various KPIs and take the necessary measures with the managers involved;
- Analyze financial performance and propose solutions to maintain and develop operational profitability;
- Work with the budgeting and forecasting Manager to establish budget forecasts;
- Provide monthly financial results with relevant indicators;
- Maximize the use of technology to simplify and improve processes;
- Develop and maintain sound relationships with the auditors and banking institutions;
- Manage a finance and accounting team that works in partnership with the operations management team;
- Coach and foster the development of team members;
- Promote a positive, harmonious and professional work environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate discipline such as accounting, finance, administration;
- Chartered professional accountant designation (CPA, CMA, CGA).
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant experience, including 10 as a team manager;
- Two to five years of experience in a recognized accounting firm;
- Minimum of five years experience in an environment with multiple branches and locations;
- Experience in a family business (an asset);
- Accounting, finance and internal control knowledge;
- Previous experience with systems conversion / implementation and automation of accounting processes (required).
- Proven cost control and operational control management skills and knowledge;
- In-depth accounting and finance knowledge;
- Bilingual, verbal and written (French and English).
- Entrepreneurial disposition, action-oriented;
- Strong leadership;
- Business acumen and ability to influence;
- Professional maturity;
- Team spirit. Proven ability to foster collaboration with partners and employees;
- Good planning and organizing skills;
- Ability to plan and organize details in a structured manner while seeing the big picture;
- Ability to gather information and pinpoint improvement opportunities;
- Ability to work in a hands-on environment;
- Recognized for interpersonal and communication abilities across the board;
- Strong interest in developing management and leadership skills.
Reasons to join Blinds To Go/Le Marché du Store
- Customer-oriented organizational culture that values cooperation and discipline;
- High level of autonomy in the workplace to manage responsibilities;
- Emphasis on employee development; Employees are encouraged to explore different roles to get to know the company.
- Company in a growth phase.
The masculine form is used for the sole purpose of simplifying the text.
Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton's Research - Executive Recruitment team is mandated to fill positions for our clients. By submitting your application on this page, you understand that you are applying for a position with our client's company.