Business valuation and financial litigation
In the purchase, sale or transfer of shares or assets, there is no room for error. And, often faced with data that is incomplete or nonexistent, calculating the value of a business can be a real puzzle. This is where the expertise of our team becomes pivotal.
The objectivity of our experienced business valuation professionals ensures you will obtain a neutral, reliable and credible assessment with which to seek fair market value and maximize your profits on your transaction.
As members of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators (CICBV), our experts perform their work in a variety of situations where a determination of the value of a business is required:
- Acquisition and sale of a company or intangible assets (patents, technology, trademarks, etc.);
- Family transfers and estate freezes;
- Shareholder integrations and buyouts;
- Strategic and tax planning;
- Allocation of the purchase price and impairment tests for accounting purposes;
- Financial modelling and help in decision making.
Attuned to the needs of their clients, our professionals have intimate knowledge of both the entrepreneurial reality and the private sector.
Our team can also assist you in legal disputes to quantify the damages and determine your personal net worth or notional earnings.
Below are some examples of situations in which financial litigation expertise may be required:
- Shareholder disputes;
- Disputes with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) regarding the fair market value of shares or intangible assets;
- Litigation over damages suffered (breach of contract, expropriation, etc.);
- Divorce proceedings (business valuation, determination of net worth, determination of notional income).
Our professionals have experience testifying in court and serving as single experts. Depending on the situation, they can help by offering a variety of services:
- Preliminary quantification calculations;
- Consultation, negotiation, mediation and arbitration;
- Expert reports;
- Testifying in court as an expert witness;
- Expert second opinion reports.
Rely on our expertise. With the support of our team, you will make informed decisions and be well placed to optimize the value of your transaction.